The latest Indymedia feature I just finished:
Raise your voice before you lose your soul – protests across Aotearoa
A support website for the arrestees has been created with information on support groups, background details, how to write to prisoners and more, at http://www.civilrightsdefence.org.nz/.
Solidarity actions continue to be held across Aotearoa and around the world for those arrested, raided, searched and questioned during and since the Monday October 15th raids.
Auckland saw 400 people march from Aotea Square to the Auckland Central Police Station, where the New Zealand flag was ripped down. Chants included “Tame Iti out, Rickards in!”
In Christchurch, 300 people marched from Cathedral Square to the Christchurch Central Police Station, with chants of “Ka whawhai tonu matou – Ake Ake Ake!” reverberating through the streets in one of the largest protests in the city for years. [ Video ]
Around 60 people assembled outside the Labour Party offices in Dunedin to show their solidarity with those arrested.
Protests have also been held overseas, where 30 people demonstrated in Berlin, Germany, outside the New Zealand Embassy [ Report + Photos ]. A solidarity banner was also displayed on the island of Santorini, Greece [ Photos ].Stand in solidarity! Global Day Of Action – Saturday 27th Oct, 12 noon
Organise an event in your centre for the Global Day Of Action now, and post the details here at Aotearoa Indymedia.
- Everywhere: Any letters emailed to lettersforprisoners[at]riseup[dot]net will printed out and distributed to arrestees. Obviously don’t write anything that could negatively impact on you or anyone else! For more information, see http://www.civilrightsdefence.org.nz.
- Auckland: Demonstration Saturday Oct 27th at 12 noon meeting in Aotea Square.
- Whanganui: Rally and march Saturday October 27th at 12 noon. Meet at the River Traders Market on Moutoa Quay (behind Taupo Quay).
- Wellington: Prisoner support meetings are being held at 128 Abel Smith St, 6pm, each Tuesday. A range of solidarity events are happening over the coming days. [ Upcoming events ].
- Christchurch: A solidarity rally and march will be held in Cathedral Square at 12noon on Saturday Oct 27th. A meeting to plan solidarity work will be held Thursday 25th at 6pm at the Otautahi Social Centre, 206 Barbadoes St.
- Sydney, Australia: Public meeting & demonstration on Thursday October 25th, 5:30pm outside NZ Consulate-General, 55 Hunter St, Sydney
- Melbourne, Australia: A solidarity demonstration will be held Saturday 27th in Federation Square, 12noon.
Donations can be made to the defence fund. See the Civil Rights Defence Committee website for details.