4:26pm Tuesday - Bail has just been granted in the Auckland District Court for Rongomai Pero Pero Bailey, one of the Auckland arrestees. His lawyer successfully argued that the evidence presented by the Police did not justify the arms charges he faced.
In other news:
A solidarity demonstration with the arrestees was held Monday lunchtime in Montreal, Canada. [ Report + Photos ]
Wednesday 24th – Friends of the Wellington prisoners have released a statement with some background on those arrested. [ Background From Friends Of Wellington “Terror” Arrestees ]
4:54pm – Tame Iti was refused bail this morning in the Rotorua District Court. He will re-appear tomorrow in the same court, where the Police will apply to have his case moved to Auckland.
And check Aotearoa Indymedia for details of solidarity events in the Global Day Of Action, this Saturday 27th at 12noon. If there’s nothing in your centre, organise something now!
Stand in solidarity! Global Day Of Action – Saturday 27th Oct, 12 noon
Organise an event in your centre for the Global Day Of Action now, and post the details at Aotearoa Indymedia.
- Everywhere: Any letters emailed to lettersforprisoners[at]riseup[dot]net will printed out and distributed to arrestees. Obviously don’t write anything that could negatively impact on you or anyone else! If you can help with processing these letters, please email the crew on the same address. For more information, see http://www.civilrightsdefence.org.nz.
- Auckland: Demonstration Saturday Oct 27th at 12 noon meeting in Aotea Square. [ Poster ] “Waha Nui” fundraiser for whanau of prisoners, Sunday 28 Oct at 6pm @ Te Karanga Gallery, 208 Karangahape Rd; films, music, korero, koha entry.
- Hamilton: Protest Oct Sat 27th, meet 12 noon @ Garden Place.
- Rotorua: Hikoi Thursday 25th Oct, meet 9am Apumoana Marae (by Blue Lake), hikoi to Rotorua District Court for bail hearings.
- Whanganui: Rally and march Saturday October 27th at 12 noon. Meet at the River Traders Market on Moutoa Quay (behind Taupo Quay).
- Palmerston North: Protest Saturday Oct 27, 1pm @ Corner of the Square and Church st.
- Wellington: Protest Sat 27th, meet 12 noon @ Midland Park. Bring noisemakers and rage [ Poster ]. Fundraising gig, Sat 27 Oct, 9pm, Happy, Tory St, featuring Upper Hutt Posse, Mr Sterile Assembly and more. Prisoner support meetings are being held at 128 Abel Smith St, 6pm, each Tuesday. A range of solidarity events are happening over the coming days. [ Upcoming events ].
- Christchurch: A solidarity rally and march will be held in Cathedral Square at 12noon on Saturday Oct 27th, followed by a picnic with live music [ Posters: 1 & 2 ] [ Press Release ]. A meeting to plan solidarity work will be held Thursday 25th, 6pm at the Otautahi Social Centre, 206 Barbadoes St. A benefit gig has been organised for Thursday 1st November at the Wunder Bar in Lytellton.
- Dunedin: Picnic on Sunday Oct 28th to discuss the Terrorism Supression Act, Tuhoe history and Parihaka. 12 noon – 2:30pm, Otago Museum Reserve.
- Sydney, Australia: Public meeting & demonstration on Thursday October 25th, 5:30pm outside NZ Consulate-General, 55 Hunter St, Sydney
- Melbourne, Australia: A solidarity demonstration will be held Saturday 27th in Federation Square, 12noon.
- London, England: Solidarity protest Saturday 27th, 12 noon @ NZ High Comission, 80 Haymarket, SW1Y, Westminster.
Donations can be made to the defence fund. See the Civil Rights Defence Committee website for details.